Friday, December 12, 2008

Judging Books By Their Covers

Well, we all do it.

Literally and figuratively. I work in publishing. We judge books by their covers all the time. In fact, I judged three books by their covers in the last 2 days, 2 of these books don't even exist yet, and the other one had a type-o on it.

Standing at B&N or browsing through Amazon or wherever affords lots of opportunities to pass major judgment on the quality, content, marketability, and subjective attractiveness of a book. I mean, if a book cover stinks, you'll never know if the 65,000 words inside might have changed your life because you won't bother picking it up. Conversely, if the book cover is awesome, I mean, just the coolest thing you've ever seen, you buy it, and the insides reek of mundane ramblings, then you're out of luck (and $15.99 poorer).

So, we judge books by their covers, websites by their first-glance, churches by their parking lots, and people by their appearances...

It's not necessarily fair, but first impressions do matter. So, without approving judge-at-first-sight behaviors, I must concede that they happen. And then work toward putting my best first foot forward as a Christian instead of putting my best first foot in my mouth as a Christian.

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying reading your blog, RJP. I especially liked this from the Coffehouse post- "God created us all as unique with unique talents and giftings, and we also struggle and sin in our own ways too. And as Christians it is the penultimate selfishness to cordon ourselves off into comfort. There's plenty of time for comfort and security in in eternity. I write these things as a challenge to myself." Convicting and so good for me to hear.

    But this post makes me feel a little queasy...if you know what I'm sayin'. ;)

    ReplyDelete