Saturday, December 20, 2008

A Christian Coffee House?

It seems to me that any business or establishment that identifies itself as having the primary purpose of bubbling Christians off from non-Christians is basically ridiculous.

Solid fellowship is one thing, but purposeful removal from the 'world' of our neighbors, co-workers, and friends is antithetical to the basic message of the Great Commission. I am not the first one to throw stones here, as it is obviously more comfortable to stick only with people who look like me, act like me, believe like me, and the like... but what a narrow-minded, sad view of how to live life.

God created us all as unique with unique talents and giftings, and we also struggle and sin in our own ways too. And as Christians it is the penultimate selfishness to cordon ourselves off into comfort. There's plenty of time for comfort and security in in eternity. I write these things as a challenge to myself.

A 'Christian' establishment should be the most welcoming, inclusive, loving environment on the planet... not condoning sin patterns and behaviors, but relating to people and living a God-honoring life alongside them so as to allow them to see what it means to know Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment