Friday, July 07, 2006

So little time...

Someday all the words in my head will be put onto the blank paper that lies in front of me. For now these meager sentences will have to suffice... I'm back baby. If only for myself, these words provide comfort in the midst of a life that could not be going if it were not for the life-giver.

Walking down my overgrown and character-driven street on the evening of the 4th day in July I found myself transported to some abandoned street in the outskirts of some Austrian town toward the end of the Second World War. It was all in my imagination, that is except for the rat-tat-tat and the ka-boom and the ka-boom and the weeeeee-ooohhh coming from all sides. It was a literal and figurative battle. Firecrackers being fired from every direction and yet with the overgrown trees and shrubs I saw nothing but the glow of light over the din of the streetlamps. It was an eerie battle scene, caught in the crosshairs of a proverbial battleground on our Independence Day, I imagined getting fired at, pursuing an enemy and taking no prisoners.

It was real and as I sought the shelter of my 80 year old apartment building I couldn't help but feel blessed to have that be the closest I have come to a wartime experience. Guns fired, bombs dropped and life-fearing are daily events in history books and geographical maps outside this country of ours.

Reality struck on the anniversary of the day that we won our freedom. And yet hundreds of years later there is little more freedom than that in our grave world. O for a Savior to rescue us from ourselves. Thank you Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment